30 May 2007

Busy month of May

I learned over the weekend that the former Lemoyne Borough Building has finally been leased and is now being used as a church. Given my feelings on churches in general, this prompted an immediate "not in my backyard" reaction, but then I realized I don't really have a say in the matter and, so far, they've been good neighbors.

Also had a long movie-watching weekend - Pirates 3 (liked it), Pan's Labyrinth (really liked it), RV (not as awful as I expected), Christmas with the Kranks (c'mon - i was bored and it was nice), Epic Movie (complete nothing - i think i laughed twice, and both scenes were in the trailer), The Machinist (you're forgiven for never hearing of this - it's a weird whodunit-spiral-into-madness story that almost killed christian bale in the making), The Fountain (good stuff), and Jesus: The Great Debate. This last one irritated me, and i was irritated at my own irritation, because I should have known. I should have known. The description was vague enough to suggest a certain level of intellectual honesty about the 'debate.' It wasn't until i actually had the disc and realized that it was hosted by a biblical scholar did I realize that objectivity was, in fact, going to be lacking. The whole point of movie was educating Christians who run into people like me on how to present us with scientific proof of the bible's accuracy. This makes me glad I watched it, because now i know what to expect. Netflix recommended it as a follow up to another, much more skeptical documentary i got recently. The problem is, now I can't remember what it was or find it in my rental history.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it recommended because you watched Jesus Camp? I just yesterday snapped and asked my Mom how she can go to a church that embraces the tenant of no alcohol when Jesus gave wine to his disciples, turned water into wine, and so probably enjoyed the booze himself to an extent. It's no big scholarly point, but I figured that it was the nicest way I could point out the basic insane hypocrisy of organized religion. . .. Lastly, I really enjoyed The Machinist, saw it a while ago.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home