20 March 2007

On high horses

For reasons i don't completely understand, I've contrived some sort of bizarre faux pop-culture high horse where I can sit and make snobby pronouncements on the so-called peons down below. I will bellow about how wonderful Veronica Mars and Arrested Development are, and how they're just too good for ordinary people, and this leads to their inevitable demise, reinforcing my own feelings of superiority that i got it and this somehow makes me better than all of them.

I understand that this is a ludicrous mind-set, but it keeps me occupied. And I think i usually do a good job of keeping this to myself, or at least confining my bellows on particular topics to people who in some way agree with me, or might possibly respect the position i'm taking. I think this because there are still certain people who speak to me cordially on a regular basis, and I believe that if I made as much noise on certain topics as i really want to, i would lead an even lonelier life than I already do.

Oddly enough, this little introspection was brought on by a slightly-uninterupted marathon of Saw and Saw II over the weekend. I say slightly uninterupted because my third netflic was Open Season, which both a complete waste of a movie and the reason i slept soundly saturday night.

I've always looked down on movies like the Saw series, thinking they were somehow beneath me. I'm not sure what prompted me to actually, you know, give them a chance, but I did, and I was impressed. They're thought provoking, twisty, gruesome without being gratuitous, and generally a lot more fun than I had anticipated. Also, there's something grotesquely pleasing about watching the Dread Pirate Roberts amputate his own foot.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home