10 January 2007

top 5 part 2

i know i promised it to you, my solitary loyal reader, and here it is... my top five favorite ladies in hollywood. this list is predicated primarily on my sense of how hot each lady is, and i apologize if that offends anyone. I don't see it as objectifying, because i think my sense of someone's hotness comes from more than just skin deep - it's the sense they evoke in me when i see them, and the fire they start in my soul, not just on the surface. So again, in alphabetical order...

ok, so, in the interest of full disclosure i'm not going to edit that first bit. I typed it out, all full of piss and vinegar to get going, and then realized i only have two that i'd put in a top list.

Keira Knightley - This is a girl who glows. I'm only slightly embarassed to admit that i own, and have repeatedly watched, Love Actually, solely because she's in it. The whole bit with the best friend who videotapes his buddy's wedding but then won't give them the tape because he realizes it's all closeups of her face... i get it. i watch her in movies from king arthur to domino harvey and i can believe that people would ruin lives to be with this woman.

Natalie Portman - Perhaps it's saying something that the first person on my list, in her first real break-out role, played the body-guard / body-double to the second person on the list (that was Phantom Menace, for those keeping track). From Garden State, which I've talked about before, to Closer - the closest a movie has ever brought me to actual tears was Natalie crying in that one - to V for Vendetta, when they shaved her head and just stripped her down to her bare, raw-edged soul. There's an honesty to her that warms the cockles of my heart. Maybe even below that, in the sub-cockle area.

I walked away from writing this for a good hour, thinking who else can i really put on this list, and these are the only two. Sure, there are others, but the rest just feel like a physical beauty. There's nothing wrong with that, but this isn't about objectifying. It's about Women That Move Me, and in film these are the only two. Jennifer Aniston, Jacinda Barrett and Rachel Bilson (both most recently seen in Last Kiss), Alyson Hannigan (a.k.a. Buffy's Lesbian Friend), Sarah Chalke (a.k.a. the second Becky on Roseanne and more recently Dr. Reid on Scrubs), Katherine Heigl (of Roswell, and late of The Ringer and Grey's Anatomy). Oh, and speaking of grey's anatomy, Sara Ramirez. I could not come up with the right word for her, until i read a review describing her as "dirty hot" and thought that was perfect. In my estimation, these are all 'a-list' hotties, who manage to reach a crescendo of combining their femininity and talent, while the first two manage to transcend this into a whole new realm.

And now this is just getting objectifying and needs to stop, so i will.

p.s. I think the last sentence in the paragraph listing all the names is one of the silliest pieces of bullshit i've ever written, and freely acknowledge this; however, i like it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home