09 January 2007

top 5?

So I just finished my third netflick of the week, The Last Kiss. I'm feeling a little unsure about this, only because I was expecting more of a Garden State type of quirky rom-com, and what i got was a substantially darker slice of life story. It has a very poor rating on netflix, and i think that's because it's really not what people were expecting. It's definitely a little different from what you're used to, but in more of a The Break-Up way than a Garden State way.

Anyway, it got me thinking... for someone who watches as many movies as I do, it's about time for me to come up with a top 5 favorite movies. I want to differentiate this from a 'best movie' list. These are the movies that I keep going back to, because i just love watching them.
In alphabetical (i.e. most generic possible) order, here they are...

Clerks - This is the movie that really made me start watching movies. It spoke to me then, making me laugh uproariously at the truths it presented, and it still speaks to me today. The harbinger of the 90's indie revolution, at least in my own little world. This is a movie that I've watched probably 50 times so far, and quoted enough to equal another 50 viewings. It speaks to the disaffected 20-something in me even more now that i'm actually a disaffected 20-something than it did when i first saw it 10 years ago.

Eurotrip - I own over 150 dvd cases. I say cases in the interest of accuracy, because once you count two-disc special editions and 3, 4, or 7 disc tv shows, the number of actual dvd's skyrockets. But out of all those dvd's, Eurotrip is the one i put on more than absolutely any other. It's hysterical, requires absolutely no work to watch, and makes me laugh everytime i watch it. Even a pseudo-classic like Mallrats doesn't hold up as well.

Garden State - Another disaffected 20-something movie. Scrubs is one of my top 5 favorite tv shows (which will be addressed at a later date), and natalie portman makes me want to weep for knowing such beauty is in this world. Put zach braff's scrubs-honed bittersweet sensibility together with natalie, and i can watch the result all day long.

Lord of the Rings - I'm taking peter jackson's 12 hour magnum opus as a single film, because the whole majestic story only comes together with the whole package. The Two Towers is downright awful without the bookends of Fellowship and Return, much as the middle third of just about any movie is pointless and completely incomprehensible without the start and finish, but put it together and you have one of the most enjoyable, immersible accomplishments in the history of cinema. And for someone who loves stories as much as i do, the story of peter jackson fighting to make the movies the way he knew they needed to be made is enough to get any geek's juices flowing.

Pulp Fiction - I gotta say, this was a toss-up with Usual Suspects. I had to give it to pulp fiction just for the insight it gave me into watching other movies. Usual Suspects may have the coolest ending in the history of, well, history, but i have to give it to the movie that both lasts more than two viewings and gives us this choice exchange:
Jules: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa... stop right there. Eatin' a bitch out, and givin' a bitch a foot massage ain't even the same fuckin' thing.
Vincent: It's not. It's the same ballpark.
Jules: Ain't no fuckin' ballpark neither. Now look, maybe your method of massage differs from mine, but, you know, touchin' his wife's feet, and stickin' your tongue in her Holiest of Holies, ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport. Look, foot massages don't mean shit.
Vincent: Have you ever given a foot massage?
Jules: [scoffs] Don't be tellin' me about foot massages. I'm the foot fuckin' master.
Vincent: Given a lot of 'em?
Jules: Shit yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be ticklin' or nothin'.
Vincent: Would you give a guy a foot massage?
[Jules gives Vincent a long look, realizing he's been set up]
Jules: Fuck you.
Vincent: You give them a lot?
Jules: Fuck you.
Vincent: You know, I'm getting kinda tired. I could use a foot massage myself.
Jules: Man, you best back off, I'm gittin' a little pissed here.

So there it is. My favorite five movies. i'm thinking of some more lists - favorite five tv shows ever, favorite currents, music, i dunno... i'll make a regular list sensation out of this. Hopefully i'll even attract a comment or two.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grabbed "The Last Kiss" in Blockbuster and loved it. Just like you I was expecting something much more Garden State, but really enjoyed it. When I returned it the clerk looked at me and said "oh, wasn't that depressing".

No. No it wasn't.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home