29 October 2006

Halloween Weekend Movie Roundup

The time change has me a little confused. I woke up, alert and well rested, at what turned out to be 6 AM, and promptly went to the grocery store. However, all that extra time led to me squeezing in an extra flick for the weekend. Since Friday, I've watched Lewis Black: Red, White, and Screwed, Hostel, Slither, Marie Antoinette, and I finally made it to The Departed.

Lewis Black's left-leaning commentary was as biting as ever. I'm kinda pissed, because there was a great quote I wanted to use but I've forgotten, and I've already sent the DVD back to netflix.

Hostel wasn't nearly as gory as i was expecting, and for anyone who's seen the movie that's really saying something. The oddity was, prior to my little trip someone asked me if I'd seen it, and when I said I hadn't they told me it made them not want to go to Europe. Watching the movie, though, I kept thinking "I want to go there. I know there aren't actually any places where they kidnap americans to torture them for sport, and given that comforting little factoid, Prague is a beautiful place." Hell, even the Czech Republic looked enticing.

Slither was everything I hoped for - blood, guts, humor, and the best shot of a guy getting sliced clean in half I've ever seen.

Marie was gorgeous - Kirsten Dunst is a hottie, and she can act, and I enjoyed that they (mostly) stayed away from accents - i mean c'mon... the people would've been speaking french, not english with french accents, so why pretend?

Finally, The Departed. It was amazing. An entire cast of people, from Jack Nicholson to Mark Wahlburg, who could've carried the whole movie on their own, all put together. I could've done without some of the fancy camera work / editing, but it kept moving so fast anything irritating was gone before it got too bad. I felt like I was watching The Godfather or Goodfellas of my generation, and that felt special.

Now the damn cat is scratching at the door... she's been asleep on the recliner leaving me alone for two hours, but as soon as I go in my room and shut the door to keep her from following me and getting annoyed when i want to type instead of pet her, she's awake and meowing at me. Dammit... better go make her feel special before she has an aneurysm.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home