11 October 2006

Part 5: The story ends

It's strange, sitting here thinking how to continue. Up to this point, I've had a pretty linear narrative. We did this, then that, here's what I thought. But now, I'm back in England. New country, new writing style. Quentin Tarantino taught me 15 years ago that linear is boring, and I'm just now taking his advice.

London was incredible. They have Indian take-away places the way America has Chinese restaurants.
They don't have "Exit" signs; it's always the "Way Out" with an arrow.
The people were friendly, the fashion was stuck in the 80's (I think I saw shoulder pads on a woman's suit once).
And it's huge. I'm trying to dig up numbers now, but I can say it's one of the most metropolitan cities in the world. It might even have NYC beat out.

We hit the big tourist spots - Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben (actually, it's St. Stephen's Tower. Big Ben is just the name of the bell inside the clock), Piccadilly Circus, National Gallery, the British Museum (I got to see the Rosetta stone, which I've wanted to see since I was in the fourth grade).

We decided on Indian food one night, and picked the one closest to our hotel right across from Kings Cross station. Greatest food I've had in a long time, and the best Indian food ever. It even beats out Passage to India in Harrisburg, and that's my favorite restaurant in Harrisburg. This place was so good, we went back again before we left.

We also saw two shows in West End, Wicked, the Untold Story of the Witches of Oz, and Avenue Q, a musical best described as Sesame Street for people in their mid 20's, with puppets that swear. I enjoyed them both, but I gotta say, Wicked was my favorite. The actress playing the lead won a Tony for the role on Broadway, and we were catching the show's opening week in London, so there was an energy all around that just crackled. It was great, and I know that I will not pass through London again without catching a show.

And now I'm going to stop again. One more short post should finish me up, and I'll probably do that tonight.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home