11 October 2006

Part 4: On Wordiness and the End of Edinburgh

I realize that I've been typing a lot so far, but from here on out things are going to be much shorter.

Friday was spent catching up on sleep. There was a little more wandering, I got down to see the Scottish Parliament, which I had read was a funny looking building, but didn't really believe until I saw it. It sits in the heart of old town, right on the royal mile, surrounded by buildings that are hundreds of years old, and it looks like it was designed by a post-modern architect on acid with a bamboo fetish. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me, so I have to go to Wikipedia to get a picture.

Friday night, it was back to Espionage for more drinking and dancing, with a quick Absinthe stop at Subway first, and then home at 3.

Saturday morning we were up, breakfasted on eggs and toast, and went into town for one last stop at World's End Pub, where we picked up a couple souvenir lighters. Then, it was back to the hotel for checkout and the train ride home.

Funny thing is, the train could have been going through Pennsylvania for the towns we stopped in: Newcastle, Carlisle, York; heck, there's even a London, PA. It was a long trip, though, close to 6 hours, because it was Saturday and they were working on the main line from London to Edinburgh, so we had to go over to Glasgow and down.

Once we were back at Kings Cross station in London, we did the smart thing and took a taxi to our Hotel. Checked in, napped for a couple hours, and then went out to find a nearby italian place with decent food and a surprising house wine. Surprising because it was relatively inexpensive and, after we let it breathe, quite tasty.

See - I can cover two full days in 5 minutes worth of reading. More from London coming soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home