20 October 2006

A parable about life and wallets.

I had a revelation this morning.

Recently, I purchased a new wallet. I had been using the same wallet since I was 14 years old, and it was a good wallet. But it was 12 years old, and had been through a lot with me and was ready for retirement. So, I went to the mall. I went to every store, fiddled with just about every bi-fold wallet in the building, and after maybe 2 hours picked out a nice, understated fossil that came with a free key chain. I went home, transferred everything from the old wallet to the new one, and slipped it into my pocket. I immediately hated it, and over the next couple days resigned myself to hating my new wallet for a year or so.

Then, one day when I went to take out my credit card and flipped up the little ID flap that hides it, I suddenly realized that I didn’t hate it at all. It just needed a few days to mold to my pocket, and for my hands to learn new habits about opening wallets for the first time in forever.

Now, just about everyone who knows me has already heard this story at least once, some of you twice, and I apologize for repeating it yet again, but I have a point this time. I think this was actually my point all along, but this morning’s revelation finally gave me the words to express it.

I was very set in my ways, and when I had to move on I went with my instincts in a replacement. After I committed to the replacement, I spent awhile thinking I had made a mistake when actually, I just needed to adapt to the new situation. It turned out my instincts were right all along.

The lesson here is, I need to trust my instincts more, and make sure I give the outcome enough of a chance to prove my instincts right instead of letting my head jump to conclusions.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home